Accelerated uptake of Hepatitis C medicines
This statewide initiative was funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
The Victorian PHN Alliance (VPHNA) was engaged by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services to undertake a primary care workforce development project focussed on supporting accelerated uptake of new hepatitis C drug treatments by the primary care system. This project was undertaken between July 2016 and April 2017 as a state-wide project coordinated by North Western Melbourne PHN on behalf of the VPHNA.
Short term achievements included:
- Development and completion of localised clinical pathways across the six PHNs. These are accessible through existing online portals for health professionals.
- The development of special interest groups supported clinical networking across all six PHNs. These have been enabled through forums and online networking spaces. Engagement included: specialists (gastroenterologists/infectious disease physicians), general practitioners (GPs), hepatitis C nurses, practice nurses and pharmacists.
- 781 health professionals attended 29 education and training events. Including general practitioners and practice nurses. Multiple sites were selected for face-to-face training events across Victoria, enabling rural and regional health professionals to access training and expert advice.
- Development of a general practitioner online training module on Hepatitis C treatment and case studies, resulting in 112 completions accomplished by GPs over a four-month period.
The objective of the project was primary care workforce development supporting the accelerated uptake of new hepatitis C drug treatments by the primary care system via:
- Customisation/further development of localised clinical pathways.
- Networking and development of local special interest groups.
- Education and training for health professionals.
- Support and coordination across the six Victorian PHNs.
- Provider engagement and training
- Clinical networking and support
- Chronic Hepatitis C Care pathways
The implementation of efforts to support accelerated uptake of hepatitis C treatment is supported by the Victorian Government.