DHHS Specialist Clinic Reform
Victorian Department of Health and Human Services partnership.
The Victorian Primary Health Networks Alliance (VPHNA) has been commissioned by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to support an integrated approach to the adoption of statewide referral criteria for adult specialist clinics in the three medical specialties of otolaryngology/Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), vascular surgery and urology.
The statewide specialist clinic referral criteria are being developed through DHHS convened panel discussions involving senior clinicians from Victorian public hospitals.
All six Victorian PHNs will lead the primary care strategy for the implementation of statewide specialist clinic referral criteria for ENT, Vascular and Urology. Statewide project management and coordination is provided by VPHNA to ensure a consistent and coordinated approach.
The objectives of this project are:
- To ensure general practitioners can find information about all Victorian public specialist clinics on a single platform
- To ensure general practitioners are aware of and familiar with statewide specialist clinic referral criteria.
- To improve the quality of referrals from GPs to public specialist clinics
- To support general practitioner access to the statewide specialist clinic referral criteria to support decision making on when to refer to public specialist clinics.
- To enhance primary care confidence and capacity to safely and effectively manage patients with medical conditions where specialist care is not indicated.
Key activities for this project include:
- The development and publication of clinical and referral content for the nominated medical specialities, including the statewide referral criteria, on all Victorian HealthPathways websites or the South Eastern Melbourne online care pathway platform.
- Development of a statewide communication and engagement plan that is implemented locally, to promote and raise awareness of the statewide specialist clinic referral criteria among primary health practitioners.
- To prepare a single statewide directory of for in-scope Victorian specialist clinics.
This initiative is part of the broader specialist clinic reform program led by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Provider engagement and training
- Clinical support
- Localised care pathways