Statewide Paediatric HealthPathways Project
A Safer Care Victoria and Victorian PHN Alliance Partnership
First suite of respiratory and gastroenterology pathways now live
General practitioners can now access the first suite of 13 clinical paediatric pathways and additional referral information. This first group focuses on respiratory and gastrointestinal conditions and is available on all Victorian HealthPathways sites with region specific information.
A further 15 pathways will be developed in late 2018, covering the unwell child, neurology, ear, nose and throat (ENT), and allergy conditions. These pathways will follow the same rigorous and collaborative development process as the first suite and will be available in October 2018. For more information, read the full media release.
About Statewide Paediatric Pathways
The Victorian PHN Alliance is working with the Victorian Paediatric Clinical Network and Safer Care Victoria’s Paediatric Clinical Network, to translate existing Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) into statewide paediatric HealthPathways. These pathways will empower primary care clinicians to support patients with low complexity, high volume paediatric conditions, and ultimately deliver better, safer care.
The aims of the project are to:
- provide clear and concise best practice statewide and local referral pathways for paediatric consultations
- reduce inappropriate variation in GP paediatric clinical care through use of HealthPathways in conjunction with GP capacity building
- empower primary care services to better meet the needs of patients, their families and carers
- reduce emergency department presentations of paediatric patients who could be reasonably managed in primary care
- improve partnerships and collaborations between primary, secondary and tertiary providers of paediatric services across the state
- enhance relationships and coordination between primary and tertiary services delivering paediatric care across the state.
To meet these objectives the Statewide Paediatric Pathways Project team ensures ongoing, collaborative consultation with clinicians, experts and associated stakeholders across Victoria throughout the development and implementation of CPG Paediatric HealthPathways.
The aim of this project is to deliver a statewide and local paediatric referral directory through the Gippsland, Melbourne, Murray and Western Victoria HealthPathways sites.
Overall, this project will create up to 30 pathways and will facilitate and measure the implementation of pathways among the Victorian primary care community.
1. Statewide Paediatric HealthPathways Forum, 30 June, 2017
Image credit: Matthew Magain, Chief Doodler, Sketch Videos
The forum brought together key stakeholders including multidisciplinary paediatric healthcare providers, and clinicians to discuss barriers and enablers to providing paediatric care within the Victorian healthcare system.
This forum was the first major milestone for the project, with discussions focussing on reducing variation and increasing confidence in general practice to treat high volume, low complexity conditions.