Statewide Paediatric HealthPathways Project
A Safer Care Victoria and Victorian PHN Alliance Partnership
Statewide Paediatric HealthPathways Project: Pathway Launch and Workshop (1 November 2018)
Please join us at the City of Melbourne Bowls Club to celebrate Australia’s first statewide paediatric pathways.
The event will feature a fantastic line-up of key note speakers, networking opportunities and interactive GP and clinician case study discussions to showcase the 29 new paediatric pathways for Victoria.
Refreshments and a light dinner will be provided. This is a free event but hurry – places are limited. Reserve your spot now.
First suite of respiratory and gastroenterology pathways now live
General practitioners can now access the first suite of 13 clinical paediatric pathways and additional referral information. This first group focuses on respiratory and gastrointestinal conditions and is available on all Victorian HealthPathways sites with region specific information.
A further 16 pathways are currently in development, covering the Unwell child, Neurology, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), and Allergy conditions. These pathways will follow the same rigorous and collaborative development process as the first suite and will be available in October 2018. For more information, read the full media release.
About Statewide Paediatric Pathways
The Victorian PHN Alliance is working with the Victorian Paediatric Clinical Network and Safer Care Victoria’s Paediatric Clinical Network, to translate existing Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) into statewide paediatric HealthPathways. These pathways will empower primary care clinicians to support patients with low complexity, high volume paediatric conditions, and ultimately deliver better, safer care.
The aims of the project are to:
- provide clear and concise best practice statewide and local referral pathways for paediatric consultations
- reduce inappropriate variation in GP paediatric clinical care through use of HealthPathways in conjunction with GP capacity building
- empower primary care services to better meet the needs of patients, their families and carers
- reduce emergency department presentations of paediatric patients who could be reasonably managed in primary care
- improve partnerships and collaborations between primary, secondary and tertiary providers of paediatric services across the state
- enhance relationships and coordination between primary and tertiary services delivering paediatric care across the state.
To meet these objectives the Statewide Paediatric Pathways Project team ensures ongoing, collaborative consultation with clinicians, experts and associated stakeholders across Victoria throughout the development and implementation of CPG Paediatric HealthPathways.
The aim of this project is to deliver a statewide and local paediatric referral directory through the Gippsland, Melbourne, Murray and Western Victoria HealthPathways sites.
Overall, this project will create up to 30 pathways and will facilitate and measure the implementation of pathways among the Victorian primary care community.
1. Phase 2 Regional Reference Groups (RRGs)
Phase 2 Regional Reference Groups are currently underway throughout Victoria to review the draft statewide pathways in development and will be held in the Gippsland, Melbourne, Murray and Western Victorian Primary Health Network regions (see PHN region locator). The 16 pathways in development are listed below.
– Adverse Food Reactions in Children
– Eczema in Children
– Acute Otitis Media
– Otitis Media with Effusion (Glue Ear)
– Ear Discharge in Children
– Post-op Grommet Care
– Sore Throat in Children
– Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea in Children
– Headaches in Children
– Minor Head Injuries in Children
- Unwell Child
– Fever in Children
– Acute Abdominal Pain in Children
– Urinary Tract Infections in Children
– Rash in Unwell Children
– Febrile Seizures in Children
North Western Melbourne PHN began the Phase 2 RRG process on 21 June 2018, with a successful meeting being held in parkville. Thank you to everyone involved.
— HealthPathways Melb (@HPMelbourne) June 22, 2018
Phase 2 of #VICPaediatricPathways development is in full-swing. The second Regional Reference Group meeting was held in Warrnambool, with ENT pathways reviewed by GPs and surgeons. Pathways will be LIVE in October. @WestVicPHN @SaferCareVic @vphna #paediatrics #EarNoseThroat pic.twitter.com/ns2aJxKnvc
— HealthPathways Melb (@HPMelbourne) June 29, 2018
Another successful Regional Reference Group hosted by @MurrayPHN for the #VICPaediatricHealthPathways. Clinicians from the area discussed the child #Neurology and #UnwellChild statewide pathways currently in development. @vphna @SaferCareVic #ChildHealth #PaediatricCare pic.twitter.com/BXaNLBX6lc
— HealthPathways Melb (@HPMelbourne) July 22, 2018